Application Materials and Resources
Important Dates and Deadlines
We have opened a second cycle of applications, as we continue to review applications that were submitted for the Feb, 8 2021 deadline.
June Application Cycle:
- Application Deadline: June 3, 2021
- Notification to semi-finalists for interviews: End June
- Interviews of semi-finalists: End July
- Notification of finalists: First week of Aug
- Training Plan submission from selected finalists: Last week of Aug
- Notification of awardees: Sept 10
- Award start date: Between Oct 15 and Dec 15, 2021
February Application Cycle:
- Application Deadline: Feb 8, 2021
- Notification to semi-finalists for interviews: End March
- Interviews of semi-finalists: Mid- April
- Notification of finalists: Early May
- Training Plan submission from selected finalists: May 24
- Notification of awardees: June 15
- Award start date: Between July 1 and Dec 15, 2021
Funding level: $75K annually plus benefits
Funding period: Up to two years of funding with additional years of funding contingent upon meeting program expectations
The Propel Postdoctoral Scholars Program is open to individuals who:
- Are citizens or permanent residents of the United States. For permanent residents, you will need to have your green card in hand within 6 months of the fellowship start date.
- Are from populations underrepresented in the US biological, biomedical, and/or population-based research enterprise. these include, but are not limited to:
- Individuals from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown to be underrepresented in health-related sciences
- Individuals with disabilities, who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, defined as those who meet two or more of the following criteria described here
- Women from the above backgrounds (categories 1, 2 and 3) or other backgrounds who are underrepresented within biomedical or scientific disciplines
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals
- Others whose backgrounds and experiences would diversify the professoriate in their academic fields.
- Are researchers in biological, biomedical, and/or population-based sciences disciplines. If you are seeking fellowships or opportunities in other disciplines at Stanford or opportunities outside of the School of Medicine, please visit this page.
- Hold a PhD and/or MD/PhD (or equivalent), which must be conferred by the start of the award term.
- Must have obtained a PhD and/or MD/PhD (or equivalent) within 12 months of December 2021 OR have no more than 12 total months of postdoctoral research, clinical fellowship, or residency experience at the time of the application due date.
- Are currently or plan to be in residence at Stanford.
- Are currently or plan to be mentored by a faculty member who has a primary appointment in the Stanford School of Medicine.
Application Process and Components
Applicants are invited to apply to Propel via this Online Application by June 3, 2021. The following six sections listed below are included in the application, and the Application Guide provides additional information and guidance.
- Biographic and Demographic Information
- Education and Research Training Record
- Research Experience
- Personal Interests, Motivations, and Career Goals
Note: The References section may be completed and/or edited at any time before the deadline (does not require previous sections to be completed first). Once you have created your applicant account and login, you will be on the Postdoctoral Affairs Application Portal homepage. Scroll to the “Propel Postdoctoral Scholars Program” section, where the “Request References” section will be available.
Applicants who are selected as semi-finalists will be invited to interview and submit additional sections of the application in which a more detailed training plan, developed with their Stanford research mentor(s), will be required prior to awarding of any funding.